RE: Saving as HTML in Word -- why does Word do this?

Subject: RE: Saving as HTML in Word -- why does Word do this?
From: "McLauchlan, Kevin" <Kevin -dot- McLauchlan -at- safenet-inc -dot- com>
To: "Downing, David" <david -dot- downing -at- fiserv -dot- com>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>, <WORD-PC -at- LISTSERV -dot- LIV -dot- AC -dot- UK>
Date: Tue, 31 Mar 2009 14:53:00 -0400

I can't tell you about the creation part, in Word, but the other part
when you delete?... That's not Word. That's Windows being...........
Er........... Helpful, and keeping the related files together as a
group. Even unto death.

There's a setting that you can switch off. I have to keep finding it
each time I get a new Windows computer.

- Kevin

-l.com [mailto:techwr-l-bounces+kevin.mclauchlan=safenet->
inc -dot- com -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com] On Behalf Of Downing, David
> Sent: Tuesday, March 31, 2009 1:09 PM
> To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com; WORD-PC -at- LISTSERV -dot- LIV -dot- AC -dot- UK
> Subject: Saving as HTML in Word -- why does Word do this?
>
> I realize that asking for a logical rationale for anything
> Word does is probably asking too much, but nevertheless, here goes.
>
> When I need to extract the graphics from a Word document as
> separate graphics files, I save the Word document as HTML.
> When I do this, two things happen that puzzle me.
>
> First, sometimes only one copy of each graphic as saved, and
> all the graphics are saved as GIF files, but sometimes, two
> files are saves for each graphic, one in the PNG format and
> one in the JPG format. Why does it happen one way sometimes,
> and the other way at other times?
>
> Second, when I drag the resulting HTML file into the recycle
> bin. The accompanying folder goes in there with it. (I'd like
> to be able to immediately throw the HTML file away, because
> that's not what I need, but for this reason, I can't do that
> until I've dealt with all the graphics by moving them
> elsewhere.) The first couple times this happened, I assumed I
> must have accidentally grabbed the accompanying file as well
> and dragged them both into the recycle bin, but I eventually
> realized this wasn't the case. Why does the accompanying
> folder get dragged in along with the HTML file?
>
> David Downing
> Senior Technical Writer
> Credit Union Solutions
> Fiserv