Re: what's this called

Subject: Re: what's this called
From: Lin Sims <ljsims -dot- ml -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 1 Apr 2009 15:47:14 -0400

Incremental search, maybe?

Although that seems to be more of the "as you type a word in, it gets
closer to what you're looking for" than the classic "keep typing c
until it cycles through to the option you want". Might give you
something to look for, though. And when you find out, let us know! I'd
LOVE to know what term is correct.

Lin Sims

On Wed, Apr 1, 2009 at 3:12 PM, Jessica Weissman
<Jessica -dot- Weissman -at- hillcrestlabs -dot- com> wrote:

> Predictive search?  Predictive selection?
> -----Original Message-----
> From:
> techwr-l-bounces+jessica -dot- weissman=hillcrestlabs -dot- com -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
> [mailto:techwr-l-bounces+jessica -dot- weissman=hillcrestlabs -dot- com -at- lists -dot- techwr
>] On Behalf Of Milan Davidovic
> Sent: Wednesday, April 01, 2009 12:21 PM
> Subject: what's this called
> I'm searching for a term to describe this Windows behaviour:
> I open a folder containing files beginning with different letters of
> the alphabet. I press the "c" key and Windows selects the first item
> starting with "c" (i.e. as though I had clicked on that item once).
> Is there a name for what Windows just did there?

ComponentOne Doc-To-Help 2009 is your all-in-one authoring and publishing
solution. Author in Doc-To-Help's XML-based editor, Microsoft Word or
HTML and publish to the Web, Help systems or printed manuals.

Help & Manual 5: The complete help authoring tool for individual
authors and teams. Professional power, intuitive interface. Write
once, publish to 8 formats. Multi-user authoring and version control!

You are currently subscribed to TECHWR-L as archive -at- web -dot- techwr-l -dot- com -dot-

To unsubscribe send a blank email to
techwr-l-unsubscribe -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
or visit

To subscribe, send a blank email to techwr-l-join -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com

Send administrative questions to admin -at- techwr-l -dot- com -dot- Visit for more resources and info.

Please move off-topic discussions to the Chat list, at:


what's this called: From: Milan Davidovic
RE: what's this called: From: Jessica Weissman

Previous by Author: Re: telecommuting - advice needed
Next by Author: Re: that vs who
Previous by Thread: RE: what's this called
Next by Thread: RE: what's this called

What this post helpful? Share it with friends and colleagues:

Sponsored Ads