Re: telecommuting - advice needed

Subject: Re: telecommuting - advice needed
From: Chris Morton <salt -dot- morton -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Thu, 23 Apr 2009 14:35:17 -0700

> If you have a significant other, make absolutely certain that he/she
> understands when you have "gone to the office" and cannot be disturbed with
> non-emergency affairs. The same applies to kidlings. And it's really rude,
> not to mention unprofesssional, to have to listen to your dog barking while
> I'm conversing with you on the phone.

I don't know how easily you get distracted. For me, I can find all SORTS of
things with which to entertain myself while seated in front of my computer.
You may find you have to take drastic measures to keep yourself from
indiscriminately surfing the web, spending hours on e-mail (read: the

Then there's that awesome book you're reading; why NOT get another cuppa and
read another chapter? Oh, and the weather's perfect? Why not take the laptop
out on the patio and...

In short, working at home requires the absolute utmost in self-discipline,
IMHO. Not that none of us do any of these things at our employer's place of
business.........

http://www.doctohelp.com