RE: Updation, and a Poem

Subject: RE: Updation, and a Poem
From: "Richard L Hamilton" <dick -at- rlhamilton -dot- net>
Date: Thu, 23 Apr 2009 17:22:53 -0600

Very cool poem, and 100% true, but I think I'll
exercise my First Amendment right (that's Freedom
of Speech for those outside the US) and never use
updation (or pluralization:-).

Also, I read your article dissing Strunk and White.
As a long time advocate of the book, which I have
probably read cover to cover more often than any
other book, I have to admit I was somewhat taken
aback, but I have to agree with most of your points
about the book's weaknesses.

I think the main reason for the book's success is
the presentation, rather than the substance. That
direct, and prescriptive, style appeals to people
who are looking for direction, rather than deep
understanding. And, if the faults aren't too serious
(which is my view), then the book probably squeaks
by on the "more good than harm" meter:).

Richard Hamilton
---------------------------------
XML Press
XML for Technical Communicators