More on chapter numbering question

Subject: More on chapter numbering question
From: "Saunders, Ian" <ISaunders -at- syntellect -dot- com>
To: "techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 24 Apr 2009 00:26:22 -0700

Hi,

Thanks to everyone for their answers to my query! The discussion got rather sidetracked by the separate issue of page numbers that include the chapter number (where they would be essential); so I will try to restate my query more precisely.

If you have a PDF document with sequential page numbering, that is usable online but is clearly formatted for printing (with sections beginning on right-hand pages, page numbers in cross-references, and even pages bearing "this page deliberately left blank"), would you expect its chapters and appendices to have numbers/letters?

I can think of several reasons why you would have them: to help the reader orientate themself, to make the reader comfortable with a familiar situation, to aid navigation, to distinguish between chapters (numbered) and appendices (lettered). But I can't think of any reason to leave them out unless you were using a tool that had flaky autonumbering. Is there a usability reason for omitting them, or just a modern trend or style issue?

Thanks for bearing with me!

Regards

Ian Saunders
Documentation Manager (UK)