RE: Framemaker running footer problem

Subject: RE: Framemaker running footer problem
From: "Combs, Richard" <richard -dot- combs -at- Polycom -dot- com>
To: "Laura Fergusson" <l -dot- fergusson -at- codestuff -dot- net>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 6 May 2009 08:12:43 -0600

Laura Fergusson wrote:

> I have running footers in my Framemaker 8.0 files with the definition
> <$paratext[Head1,RefHead1]>
>

> These have been working fine up til now, and suddenly they have
stopped
> displaying in Body pages. They are still there in the Master pages but
> are not displaying in Body view.

Do you mean the variable (Running H/F 1 or whatever) is there on the
master pages, but isn't displaying anything on the body pages?

Your definition says "display the text of the most recent Head1 or
RefHead1 paragraph." So the first thing to check is whether the file
actually contains a Head1 or RefHead1 paragraph (with text in it). If
there are none, there's no $paratext to display.

Have you imported and applied new pgf formats or changed the names of
the heading formats you use? Note that case matters and the name must
match exactly what's in the variable definition -- "Head 1" and "head1"
won't match "Head1."

If your heading pgf formats have changed, it's a simple matter to change
the variable definition. On a master page, double-click the Running H/F
variable. In the Variable dialog, make sure it's selected and click Edit
Definition. Change the pgf tag names in the square brackets as needed.
Note that when you specify multiple pgf formats, they're separated with
commas, but no spaces.

If the problem isn't the pgf formats, make sure the Running H/F variable
you're using is present on the master pages actually applied to your
body pages. Check the default Left and Right master pages first. But if
there are a bunch of master pages and the files use master page mapping,
be sure to check the others, too. It's conceivable that the ones with
the variable aren't the ones in use.

It's also conceivable that some master pages have Running H/F 1 in the
footer and some have Running H/F 11 or something, which hasn't been
defined, so look carefully.

HTH!
Richard

Richard G. Combs