RE: Missing Fonts in Frame

Subject: RE: Missing Fonts in Frame
From: "Combs, Richard" <richard -dot- combs -at- Polycom -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 21 May 2009 15:56:26 -0600

David Dorbin wrote:

> I'm getting the familiar missing font message upon opening a file
(actually
> any of the many files in my book). This just started happening
yesterday,
> as I got a new machine; it was not happening on the old machine.

Monique pointed out some of the likely suspects (don't overlook imported
graphics). But before we once again explore the many facets of the
missing fonts problem, I'd like to suggest a simpler approach.

The problem began when you switched to a new machine. That means you had
the fonts on the old machine. That means, presumably, you have a license
for those fonts (or you didn't care about legalities when you installed
them on the old machine and presumably still don't).

So why didn't you transfer your fonts from the old machine to the new
one (or have IT do it for you if you're not sure what to do)? I'm sure
you (or someone else) moved your applications, like FM, to your new
machine -- why not your fonts? Why not install them now?

That strikes me as a much more sensible solution than redefining
formats, hunting down font hiding places, etc.

Besides, those fonts weren't chosen at random, were they? Can/should you
really just decide to be done with them and use something else?

Just wondering...

Richard

Richard G. Combs
Senior Technical Writer