Re: Recruiter (?) Sets people up for identity theft!

Subject: Re: Recruiter (?) Sets people up for identity theft!
From: Bill Swallow <techcommdood -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: Technical Writing Plus <doc-x -at- earthlink -dot- net>
Date: Mon, 15 Jun 2009 16:34:23 -0400

Whatever the case, providing your SSN to a third party whom you don't
know is not a smart idea. A company cannot require a SSN during the
initial application process for a job (federal mandate).

What the SSN is used for is a background check, which companies only
do as the final step before hire. All you have to do is tell them it
will be provided upon offer of hire. If they balk, remind them that
identity theft is a very real and very common threat these days and
that you'd prefer to only circulate personal information when
necessary. They have absolutely no use for your SSN before the
background check and can't perform one without your consent, which you
give by signing the offer letter.

Whether over email, over the phone, or hand-written on an in-person
application, it's bad practice to give your SSN to anyone before
absolutely necessary. Keep it safe, and if the company can't respect
your right to privacy then you should be thinking twice about wanting
to work for them.

--
Bill Swallow

Twitter: @techcommdood
Blog: http://techcommdood.com
LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/techcommdood

Available for contract and full time opportunities. No, I don't do
birthday parties.

http://www.doctohelp.com