Re: Edit PDF in Acrobat Pro?

Subject: Re: Edit PDF in Acrobat Pro?
From: Chris Morton <salt -dot- morton -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Fri, 3 Jul 2009 06:08:08 -0700

On Fri, Jul 3, 2009 at 4:38 AM, Ed <glassnet -at- gmail -dot- com> wrote:

> Reading somewhat between the lines, it sounds like you have the original
> .doc, but the PDF is processed through a trial version of Acrobat or
> something else.

Nope. Originally I had nothing more than user manual in password-protected
PDF format. Only the doc control person (original author), out on long-term
disability, knew the PW. Doc control knows that I was brought on board last
Sept. as tech writer to address ALL user manuals and anything else that
needs help. Not meaning to protect turf (at least from me), the PDF was
protected to keep it away from the B-1 engineers who, in our culture, will
attempt to take over and do it themselves in their own form of stilted
English ("User *shall*..."). This was ostensibly a good idea, but the PW
should have been shared with a few others, right?

The situation was resolved when our IT person called the doc control person,
got the PW, and eventually located the native DOC files nested six levels
deep on that person's PC. I'm good to go now, but it taught us several more
lessons regarding processes that I hope we've learned.

> Chris

2009 tips, tricks, and best practices.