Re: TECHWR-L Digest, Vol 45, Issue 7

Subject: Re: TECHWR-L Digest, Vol 45, Issue 7
From: David Neeley <dbneeley -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Wed, 8 Jul 2009 10:13:54 +0300

Al,

>From the three groups I briefly attended years ago before giving up
with some disgust, I'd say an active Mensa card might be one form of
certification for a subset of "$%# -at- #a" types.

Of course, come to think of it, qualification for Mensa would most
likely rule out being a recruiter in the first place.

....Never mind...

On a serious note, I once had a recruiter who was an absolute gem. I
was happy to be very loyal to him, and referred other contractors to
him and his agency. Unfortunately, he was ultimately promoted out of
day-to-day recruiting and into management and his replacement was the
usual.

With contract recruiters, I always had a simple agreement: they would
tell me the companies they were submitting me for, and I would not
approach that company by myself or allow other recruiters to do so.
Multiple submissions are generally the kiss of death anyway, so it was
a big win/win for all parties involved. There are obviously things we
can do to be good clients that will set us apart from the usual. (It
would be very instructive to hear recruiters discuss candidates, I
think).

I have rarely met a company-direct recruiter, though, who had sense
enough to pour p*** from a boot by reading instructions on the heel,
as the old saying goes. It is too often a toss-up as to which is
goofier--a company's recruiter or the more exuberant marketing people.

David

On Wed, Jul 8, 2009 at 09:00, <techwr-l-request -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com> wrote:
> From: "Al Geist" <al -dot- geist -at- geistassociates -dot- com>
> To: "'Mike Starr'" <mike -at- writestarr -dot- com>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
> Date: Tue, 7 Jul 2009 17:23:59 -0400
> Subject: RE: Recruiters--Can't beat them, so join them?
> Can you get certified to be a "$%# -at- #a?"
>
> Al Geist
> Technical Communicator, Help, Web Design, Video, Photography
> Office/Msg: 802-872-9190
> Cell: 802-578-3964
> E-mail: al -dot- geist -at- geistassociates -dot- com
> Website: www.geistassociates.com
> See Also:
> Fine Art Photography
> Website: www.geistarts.com