RE: job-hunt weirdness

Subject: RE: job-hunt weirdness
From: "McLauchlan, Kevin" <Kevin -dot- McLauchlan -at- safenet-inc -dot- com>
To: "Boudreaux, Madelyn (GE Healthcare, consultant)" <MadelynBoudreaux -at- ge -dot- com>, Erik Hare <wabbitoid47 -at- yahoo -dot- com>, "techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 8 Jul 2009 14:35:31 -0400

> -----Original Message-----
> From:
-l.com [mailto:techwr-l-bounces+kevin.mclauchlan=safenet-> inc -dot- com -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com] On Behalf Of Boudreaux, Madelyn
> (GE Healthcare, consultant)
> Sent: Wednesday, July 08, 2009 1:19 PM
> To: Erik Hare; techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
> Subject: RE: job-hunt weirdness
>
> Given the chances that the person looking at the resume is not,
> themselves, a writer, how likely is it that they will catch one or two
> small errors? Compare and contrast to errors you might find in job
> openings, hiring materials, corporate materials, etc. We all
> go to work
> for companies that need good writers and editors; if the
> hiring manager
> has those laser-like copy-editing skills, why is he/she wasting those
> talents in HR?

The guy who hired me to this gig (11 years ago... wow...) was veep of engineering. He was _very_ capable and polished in his speech and his writing, and he liked/picked me because I did well on the little editing test that he gave me, _and_ I defended each and every place where my editing choice disagreed with his.

There was no pubs/docs department - I became it.

The HR lady, when she came back from vacation, was not amused that I'd been hired in her absense, but I've found that she too speaks and writes with capability and precision. Those skills are not mutually exclusive with engineering or HR talent and skill and hiring power.

I found the rest of your post agreeable and unexceptionable.

As a vague parallel to your concluding remarks, I'm trying to get back into shape for many reasons, one of which is so that I can put "skydiving" or "skydiving instructor" back into my resume. It's a great lever for steering/controlling conversations... or for revealing things about places I wouldn't enjoy working anyway.

Cheers,

- Kevin

RESTRAIN YOUR URGE TO SCROLL FURTHER. NO GOOD WILL COME OF IT.

TOLD YA... The information contained in this electronic mail transmission
or disclosing it.

2009 tips, tricks, and best practices.