RE: slashed zero in HTML code listings?

Subject: RE: slashed zero in HTML code listings?
From: Andrew Warren <awarren -at- synaptics -dot- com>
To: 'Robert Lauriston' <robert -at- lauriston -dot- com>, "techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 8 Jul 2009 13:59:06 -0700

Robert Lauriston wrote:

> One thing I've always wanted to do that I've never managed to achieve
> was to use a slashed zero in code listings in HTML and HTML-based
> online help.
>
> The only monofont generally available is Courier New, and it doesn't
> have that character.

Robert:

Courier New (among many fonts) has a slashed capital "O"; is that close enough? It's U+00D8; type ALT+0216 to see it. It might even show up here, between the 2 and the 3: 12Ø34.

Consider, though, what your audience will be doing with your HTML code listings. If readers will be copying directly from your listing to their text editors, it'd be best not to modify the listing at all.

-Andrew

=== Andrew Warren - awarren -at- synaptics -dot- com
=== Synaptics, Inc - Santa Clara, CA

2009 tips, tricks, and best practices.