Re: job-hunt weirdness

Subject: Re: job-hunt weirdness
From: "Dana Worley" <dana -at- campbellsci -dot- com>
To: Peter Neilson <neilson -at- windstream -dot- net>, techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Thu, 09 Jul 2009 12:49:15 -0600

On Thursday, July 09, 2009, Peter Neilson wrote:

> Um, when they describe the exact job you are currently doing, that's
> not an exact match? Perhaps they had additional but unstated criteria.
> "Must NEVER have used Lisp, Smalltalk, or Ruby." And you've mentioned
> them.

There's more to being a good fit for a job than being able to check all the boxes on the skills
list.

For instance, if you've had 6 jobs in the last 5 years, and the job I'm hiring for has a
substantial learning curve, you'll be tossed into the "no" pile. If you made $100K at your last
three jobs, and the job I am hiring for is significantly less, you'll be tossed into the "no" pile.
These are just two examples -- there are many red flags that warn me you may not be a
good fit.

All I am saying is folks are trying to over analyze why they weren't called for an interview for a
job that, **in their minds**, was a perfect fit. Face it, we *all* think we are good writers and
have top-notch skills that "anyone in their right mind would be a fool to turn down". That's just
one perspective, and obviously not the perspective of the hiring manager or the outcome
would have been different.

Bottom line -- If you apply for a job, are not called for an interview, and the position is posted
again four weeks later, it is highly likely no good candidates were found in the first round,
including yourself.

2 cents, from the hiring side....

Dana W.

Dana Worley
Software Product Manager/Manager, Software Support Group
Campbell Scientific, Inc.
dana -at- campbellsci -dot- com

2009 tips, tricks, and best practices.