Re: Am I Off the Wall?????

Subject: Re: Am I Off the Wall?????
From: "Gene Kim-Eng" <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 11 Jul 2009 12:10:20 -0700

Been there.

Laughing it off is right on target.

If you get to an actual phone conversation or face-to-face before the amount
comes up, try to keep it to a low chuckle as you explain to them that they've
already consumed $250 of a *good* technical writer's time just talking about
their budget.

If it becomes evident that the budget was not the idea of the person who got
stuck with the unpleasant task of delivering the news to you, get contact info
and touch bases in a month or two just to see how things turned out. Odds are
the call will be worth another chuckle or two.

Don't pass up opportunities for a good laugh in hard times. A few years from
now, you'll smile every time you think back on it.

Gene Kim-Eng