Re: job-hunt weirdness

Subject: Re: job-hunt weirdness
From: Peter Neilson <neilson -at- windstream -dot- net>
To: Robert Lauriston <robert -at- lauriston -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 16 Jul 2009 17:43:16 -0400

Robert Lauriston wrote:

> through the filter.

You know, I kind of wonder if there aren't bugs in that software for
grinding resumes. Most software has bugs, so why should they be the
exception? There are also the human-factors bugs in the design of the
software.

There will be parameters the operator has to set, like the number of
matches, exact match on case, near match allowed, etc. It's possible
that they also run a spell-check, and toss out any resumes with typos
over a certain (selectable) number. So if you mention "emacs" (I do, and
I spell it all lower case) the grinder may think you meant "email" but
you spelled it wrong. Ding! Another agent may run the same program but
not elect to run spell check.

It's never occurred to me to find out the actual generic term for resume
grinders or to find the brands in use out there. Does anyone know?

Gargling for "resume grinder" produces nothing useful except for
archived discussion from right here on this forum, mostly between me and
Geoff Hart.

2009 tips, tricks, and best practices.