Re: Red button: next in the saga

Subject: Re: Red button: next in the saga
From: Keith Hood <klhra -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: 'TECHWR-L' <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 23 Jul 2009 15:42:17 -0700 (PDT)

In some cases, especially in manufacturing, a consultant is someone you hire to do things you know you need to do but are afraid would make you lose face. Like listening to the workers. There were times when I was younger working industrial jobs, I saw "consultants" and "efficiency experts" who were paid big money to solve the company's problems, and after they nailed down where the bathroom and the cafeteria were, the first thing they did was come down to the line and say "What's wrong?" to the people running the brake press or the wave solder tank. The execs would never do that. Sometimes, consultants make a living through being human insulation between the egos in the board room and the reality of the shop floor.