RE: Absence of FrameMaker from your skill set -- what does it say?

Subject: RE: Absence of FrameMaker from your skill set -- what does it say?
From: Kat Kuvinka <katkuvinka -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 31 Jul 2009 15:47:38 -0400

At another job, we were heavy into FM. We hired a contractor who *said* she knew FM, but didn't. I spent many hours answering her questions about how to do basic stuff.

When I learned FM, it was brand new and we used it on Unix (Sun/SGI) workstations. The whole team used it, s/w developers, managers, testers, etc. Nobody used MS DOS or Windows! It was cool. And nobody was trained. We all learned it on our own.

By the way, why are there no FrameMaker sessions at the Adobe MAX conference?

kat

> Whether to list FrameMaker skills as a requirement or a "plus."
> You need to decide what you want from a new writer. Do you want someone who has
> skills comparable to your current team (some FM users and some not) who either
> knows FM or could learn it along with the rest of your current non-users, or do
> you want someone who knows FM well enough to jump right in without a learning
> curve and possibly assist your current non-users in making their own
> transitions?

Windows Live™ Hotmail®: Celebrate the moment with your favorite sports pics. Check it out.
http://www.windowslive.com/Online/Hotmail/Campaign/QuickAdd?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_QA_HM_sports_photos_072009&cat=sports

2009 tips, tricks, and best practices.