RE: Technical writer survey: What should we really call ourselves?

Subject: RE: Technical writer survey: What should we really call ourselves?
From: "Leonard C. Porrello" <Leonard -dot- Porrello -at- SoleraTec -dot- com>
To: "Geoffrey Marnell" <geoffrey -at- abelard -dot- com -dot- au>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 10 Aug 2009 10:30:32 -0700

For starters, I would never refer to us as "wordsmiths." Software
engineers aren't called codesmiths; surgeons aren't called bodysmiths;
lawyers aren't called lawsmiths; actuaries aren't called statsmiths; and
even a dentist, whose work is very close to that of the artisan, isn't
called a toothsmith. Technical writing is similar to other processions,
and it is not an artisan skill or craft.

Leonard