Re: Font sizes for different text elements

Subject: Re: Font sizes for different text elements
From: voxwoman <voxwoman -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: Robert Lauriston <robert -at- lauriston -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 25 Aug 2009 15:47:04 -0400

Garamond appears smaller because it's x-height is much smaller than Arial's.
Arial is really poor-man's Helvetica. (The x-height is the height of the
lower-case x, which defines the height of all lowercase letters in a font.
These vary widely among fonts as do the height ratios from upper to lower
case)

I would not recommend going smaller than 10-pt type on anything that you
want people over 40 to be able to read w/o straining.

If Garamond is seemingly too small in comparison, why not try other serif
fonts, such as Bookman, that have larger x-heights, and won't appear so
small relative to your san-serif fonts.

A very interesting read, for those interested in the minutia of fonts,
is: “Exploring
Typography: An in-depth guide to the art & techniques of Designing with
Type” by Tova Rabinowitz, Thompson / Delmar Learning, 2006

-Wendy