RE: Are tech writers inherently snobby?

Subject: RE: Are tech writers inherently snobby?
From: "Combs, Richard" <richard -dot- combs -at- Polycom -dot- com>
To: "Karen Field Carroll" <kfcarroll -at- cox -dot- net>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 25 Aug 2009 15:52:52 -0600

Karen, did you mean to reply to Gene's message (which you quoted below),
or was that inadvertent? His post doesn't seem to have anything to do
with your font question, wasn't off-list, and isn't arrogant, so I don't
see how it can be related to your question. But others looking at it
casually might assume otherwise.

Richard

On
> Behalf Of Karen Field Carroll
> Sent: Tuesday, August 25, 2009 3:42 PM
> To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
> Subject: Are tech writers inherently snobby?
>
> Hello.
> For the second time in two days, I've posted to the list and gotten an
> off-line reply that I thought reeked with arrogance. Each time I wrote
back
> and asked for clarification on the tone, because, as I'll be the first
> tell you, I'm somewhat defensive and tend to read a lot into e-mails,
and
> so
> I wanted to be sure I'm not being my over-protective self. (In today's
> case,
> the tone was so obvious I'm pretty darn sure it's not just me.) But
this is
> such a consistent pattern--I've worked with many writers who thought
they
> hung the moon--that I'm starting to wonder if people in our profession
> (including me, because I can definitely be a snob) are prone to being
> holier-than-thou.
> Any thoughts?

Behalf Of
> Gene Kim-Eng
> Sent: Tuesday, August 25, 2009 1:47 PM
> To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
> Subject: Re: Have We Entered a Post-Literate Technological Age?
>
> I have my doubts about this one. I think control enhancements will
still
> keep
> most of the maintenance and repair operations out of the hands of end
> users,
> and
> the "future enhanced" spinning wheel will do more but require no more
user
> skill
> than the old models peoples' grandmothers used to teach them to use.
If