RE: Uses of Visio?

Subject: RE: Uses of Visio?
From: Fred Ridder <docudoc -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: <robert -at- lauriston -dot- com>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 16 Sep 2009 12:45:26 -0400

Robert Lauriston wrote (in part):

> When I want a simple diagram (e.g. a block diagram showing the
> relationship between and data flows among components in a
> client-server application), typically I've found that Visio won't let
> me simply do what I want. It won't let me draw the kind of arrow I
> want between two boxes, it won't make labels the size I want them to
> be, when I move one object it automatically rearranges the rest
> inappropriately, when I make any change to the drawing it resizes the
> page size back to the default, effectively shrinking the drawing in
> the linked OLE object in FrameMaker.

FWIW, the nearly universal recommendation on the FrameUsers list is to avoid embedding Visio drawings in FrameMaker documents as OLE linked objects. The preferred method is to use a vector metafile format like EMF or WMF, which can be created directly from Visio, or PDF or EPS, which require the use of Adobe Acrobat in addition to Visio.

-Fred Ridder

2009 tips, tricks, and best practices.