Re: TECHWR-L Digest, Vol 47, Issue 13

Subject: Re: TECHWR-L Digest, Vol 47, Issue 13
From: Fox Cole <foxcole -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Wed, 16 Sep 2009 23:24:10 -0500

Robert Lauriston <robert -at- lauriston -dot- com> wrote:

> Bruce Combs original example was:
>
> "1. Select the Tx Inhibit check box, to block the operator from
> transmitting audio (optional)."
>
> To me, that "1." implies a linear series of steps. There's no branch,
> you check the box or not, then go on to step 2.

I'm not quite sure I understand what point you're making, but maybe it's
just me being foggy.

Are you saying that because you see a numbered step, to your eye it's
automatically a linear step?---even though "you check the box or not"?

The very words "or not" show clearly there is a decision to make here. I'd
put the decision point before the action, in order to arrange the resulting
actions (i.e., to check the box, or not check the box) but framing the
decision point in words instead of a diagram should not make the branch any
less obvious.

Cheers!
---Fox

If the world were a logical place, men would ride sidesaddle. -- Rita Mae
Brown

2009 tips, tricks, and best practices.