RE: Frame X-Ref issues

Subject: RE: Frame X-Ref issues
From: "Combs, Richard" <richard -dot- combs -at- Polycom -dot- com>
To: "theboggette" <theboggette -at- yahoo -dot- com>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 23 Sep 2009 10:35:23 -0600

theboggette wrote:

> I'm having trouble with my cross-references in Frame 8, running on Windows
> XP.
>
> I have one in particular that's giving me headaches.
>
> It's written <Blue>Section\ <$paranum>, <Emphasis><$paratext><Default ¶
> Font><Blue>, on page\ <$pagenum><Default ¶ Font>
>
> So the first part is Italic, but the "on page" part shouldn't be because of
> the Default ¶ Font.  Yet the on page keeps showing italic.  (Emphasis is
> Italic, with all other set to "as is" and Blue has only the color set.  All
> others are set to 'as is')
>
> Do I have these in the wrong order or something?  The same x-refs, with the
> same formatting, are in all chapters of the book.  This is driving me
> buggy!

FM doesn't support nested character formats. When you apply a second char tag to a string, the formatting of the original remains (assuming the second tag has the corresponding attributes set to As Is), but the tag is no longer there, so that formatting is now an override.

In theory, I suppose your xref definition should nevertheless do what you want. But I'm guessing that the nested char tags are somehow confusing FM.

You can (and should, IMHO) avoid nesting char tags by instead defining a tag that applies the attributes of the two tags you're now nesting. In this instance, for example, you need a char tag named BlueEmphasis that sets both Color and Angle.

HTH!
Richard

Richard G. Combs
Senior Technical Writer