RE: Dual/multiple monitors

Subject: RE: Dual/multiple monitors
From: "McLauchlan, Kevin" <Kevin -dot- McLauchlan -at- safenet-inc -dot- com>
To: David Neeley <dbneeley -at- gmail -dot- com>, "techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 28 Sep 2009 10:14:16 -0400

One thing that I like a LOT from KDE on Linux and from my Mac is fast switching among multiple desktop contexts.

I can have my source document(s) open on the left-hand screen, and my working doc (or drawing or...) on the right-hand screen, and maybe a notepad or two lurking around the edges. And then another similar pairing for another project on a second switchable desktop. And my e-mail on a third. And several browser windows on a fourth.

I find that sort of thing very helpful when I'm moving back and forth between projects during the day. It's a hell of a lot faster than closing everything down on one project, opening everything up for another project, and so on. It's also WAY nicer than having multiple Windows Explorer windows in my taskbar, multiple Word or OpenOffice windows/instances, multiple browser instances, etc., along with an instance of Flare, an instance of Paint.NET, an instance of Illustrator... and raising and minimizing them alternately and juggling among them to get the right ones visible for any given task.

I'd like that, but I don't really have it, because I do most of my work at my employer's office, on a Dell T5400 running Win XP x64. Last year, I tried somebody's suggestion for a task-switcher and it was a dud for me. I tried somebody else's suggested add-on for multiple desktops, but it didn't seem to play well with XP 64-bit and my video card.

I live in hope. :-)

- Kevin

or disclosing it.

2009 tips, tricks, and best practices.