Re: Tech Pubs vs MarCom

Subject: Re: Tech Pubs vs MarCom
From: "Gene Kim-Eng" <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 1 Oct 2009 12:32:46 -0700

I don't see an inherent conflict between Technical Publications and Marcom.

I've seen adversarial relationships where Marketing puffed up product
capabilities beyond any reasonable interpretation of fact, or where Tech Pubs
insisted on pushing some rigid documentation standard that everyone outside of
the group knew would have customers dozing off mid-document.

But I've also seen partnerships where Marketing wouldn't publish anything
without having the tech sanity-checked by Engineering or Tech Pubs, provided
valuable inputs on customer expectations to document plans and went to product
planning meetings to insist that a product's success in market would be
seriously impaired if Tech Pub's document plan was cut back.

As in all organizational relationships, it is people working with or against
each other, and it depends on the people involved.

Gene Kim-Eng