Screen captures in multiple lanaguages or just in English? was, "RE: Examples of Minimalist Writing"

Subject: Screen captures in multiple lanaguages or just in English? was, "RE: Examples of Minimalist Writing"
From: "Leonard C. Porrello" <Leonard -dot- Porrello -at- SoleraTec -dot- com>
To: <beelia -at- pacbell -dot- net>, "Techwr-l" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 5 Oct 2009 09:27:38 -0700

Thanks for your message, Bee; it's particularly timely as I am looking
into localizing my docs. The customer we are working with has their docs
in several different languages and uses full screen captures (in all of
the docs) from the English version of their application. We are
considering using the same approach for our docs.

I use full screen captures only to orient the reader. I do not use
screen captures with call-outs or with graphically attached step-by-step
directions. These would all remain in English in all versions of the
docs. I also use screen captures of buttons and icons. The icons are
easy as they don't contain words; the buttons present more of a problem
since they feature text (e.g., OK, Cancel, Finish, etc.) and would have
to be translated. I do not have any partial screen captures.

Although I have always written to accommodate translation, this is the
first time I am heading down the translation road. Any advice, about
anything germane to translation, from anyone on the list would be
appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Leonard