Re: Guide to Visio for FrameMaker users?

Subject: Re: Guide to Visio for FrameMaker users?
From: Robert Lauriston <robert -at- lauriston -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Wed, 14 Oct 2009 15:44:48 -0700

If you need to tweak an element, Visio's probably the wrong tool. The
"smart" objects are supposed to tweak themselves (and often do,
sometimes in ways you might not want).

You need to learn about "Stencils" (templates for application-specific
drawings).

The frequently useful distribute and align tools are pretty much identical.

My main tip: when linking to or embedding a Visio doc, in Visio,
select File > Page Setup > Page Size tab > Page Size > "Size to fit
drawing contents" to get rid of the white space. Repeat this any time
you add or delete elements that change the size of the drawing.

You might look at the "Uses of Visio" topic from Sept. 15 et seq.

On Wed, Oct 14, 2009 at 2:40 PM, Guy K. Haas <guy -at- hiskeyboard -dot- com> wrote:
> Help...
>
> I'm pretty capable with FrameMaker's drawing tools, but am now constrained
> to using Visio.  Is there any resource out there y'all could point me to
> that lets me "translate" my FrameMaker drawing skills to using Visio?  I
> know how to perform a task in FrameMaker, but how do I do that in Visio?
>
> Things like "tweaking" the position of an element with ALT-arrow, or even
> grabbing the end of a line and making it shorter by  dragging it.

2009 tips, tricks, and best practices.