What makes a job good (or bad) (was RE: #5 on the list of Low Stress Jobs)

Subject: What makes a job good (or bad) (was RE: #5 on the list of Low Stress Jobs)
From: "Boudreaux, Madelyn (GE Healthcare, consultant)" <MadelynBoudreaux -at- ge -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 19 Oct 2009 12:00:23 -0400

Keith Hood fired a volley across our bow with:
>The thing was, I could *do something* about the dangers in the other
jobs.

When I was much younger, not at all interested in business, and assuming
I was going to labor in VERY low-wage artsy jobs all my life (instead of
merely semi-low-wage tech jobs), I heard/read about a concept that there
are X factors (where X was probably 5, but I don't remember) to making a
job enjoyable, and that we basically can be happy as long as X-1 are
present, might be happy at X-2, and will me miserable and stressed at
X-3 or more.

The factors I remember were:
Tools -- having the right tools to do the job
Pay -- being paid well for the job

I do not remember the rest. Autonomy, work hour flexibility, co-workers
you like, etc. all could fit, as could others. (I am pretty sure I
remember those 2 because they are the ones usually missing in my
jobs...)

The idea was that if you had a job were everything was good, you had the
tools to do your job, etc., but the pay is cruddy, you may still be
happy. Likewise, if you have a great job, great pay, etc., but you're
expected to muck out stalls with a teaspoon (or the equivalent), you may
still be happy. But once you take away 2 or more factors, happiness
starts to wane.

I don't know whose theory this was, but I'd love to know if this rings
any bells.

Sincerely,
Madelyn

2009 tips, tricks, and best practices.