Re: Click X, or click the X button?

Subject: Re: Click X, or click the X button?
From: Robert Lauriston <robert -at- lauriston -dot- com>
To: techwr-l List <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 2009 17:56:17 -0700

I'm less concerned about research than about complaints from customers
that the documentation was bloated. There's no advantage to the user
to have a, say, seven-step procedure spread over three and a half
pages in order to provide screen shots that duplicate what they see on
screen.

On Thu, Oct 22, 2009 at 5:40 PM, Leonard C. Porrello
<Leonard -dot- Porrello -at- soleratec -dot- com> wrote:

> Extra time? Hardly. It takes about three seconds to insert an already
> captured image and about 30 seconds to capture a brand new image (which
> I rarely need to do). The benefit to the user is well worth the
> (negligible) time investment.
>
> As for slowing down users, again, the research doesn't agree. But maybe
> you are imagining something that I am not thinking of. The screen
> captures of buttons and icons I use don't significantly add to the
> length of my documentation.
>
> And finally, as far as I know, minimalism says nothing about using more
> or fewer screen captures.
>
> But it seems that you are more interested in anecdotal accounts than
> research or systematic theories. So, I'll add my two cents. I find that
> having a complete screen capture at the top of a help page orients
> users, and having screen captures of buttons and icons along the way
> enables users to scan pages more quickly. Instead of utilizing only
> verbal processing, having to read every word, in-line screen captures of
> buttons and icons enable the "reader" to utilize the cognitive processes
> required for reading as well as those required for visual processing. By
> being able to use more of his brain (inferior frontal gyrus,
> parieto-temporal area, and occipito-temporal area for reading and the
> visual cortex for graphics), the user is able to work through a help
> page more quickly while understanding it and how it is related to the
> GUI more thoroughly.
>
> But as someone else mentioned, it all comes down to audience. I would
> agree that an audience that doesn't need step-by-step directions also
> doesn't need screen captures of buttons and icons.
>
> Leonard

2009 tips, tricks, and best practices.