Re: HTML Help Workshop question

Subject: Re: HTML Help Workshop question
From: Odile Sullivan-Tarazi <odile -at- mindspring -dot- com>
To: Robert Lauriston <robert -at- lauriston -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 2 Nov 2009 14:09:52 -0700

Robert,

Thanks so much for getting back to me. I have just now figured out
-- well, a co-worker has figured out -- what the problem was. The
source files I am working with appear in three levels of folders, and
instead of building the project in a file that was a sibling to the
top-level file, I built it inside. I did this because I have four
distinct groups of source files, and I'd wanted the project for each
one to live inside its own directore, in a folder that was sibling to
the various folders for the HTML source. Looks like that's not
possible. I sure wish the online help had made this limitation clear
somewhere. If it is mentioned anywhere, I couldn't find it.

Unfortunately, I am stuck with HTML Help Workshop for the moment. So
I'm soldiering on . . .

Thanks again for taking the time to consider my dilemma. I'll never
make this mistake again!

Odile

At 1:33 PM -0800 11/2/09, Robert Lauriston wrote:
>Spaces in path or file names used to cause errors.
>
>Does the [Files] section on the Project tab look something like:
>
>[FILES]
>*.htm
>myproject.hhp
>
>Do entries in myproject.hhc look something like:
>
><ul>
> <li> <object type="text/sitemap">
> <param name="Name" value="Introduction">
> <param name="Local" value="introduction.htm">
> </object>
> <ul>
>
>I've always found using HTML Help Workshop directly frustratingly
>buggy. You might want to download and install FAR HTML:
>
>http://www.helpware.net/FAR/
>

>On Mon, Nov 2, 2009 at 7:24 AM, Odile Sullivan-Tarazi
><odile -at- mindspring -dot- com> wrote:
>>
>> I am at my wits' end with a new HTML Workshop project, and I'm
>> wondering whether any of you know what's going on with it.
>>
>> I have added files to the project, and they display in the list of
>> files in the Project pane. When I add TOC entries in the Contents
>> pane, everything seems fine. The HTML titles of the files display,
>> and I can select the appropriate file to be associated with the TOC
>> entry. But when I compile the project, only the table of contents
>> pane is populated. The files aren't there. And if I open the .hhc
>> file, again the table of contents entries are there, but unassociated
>> with files. If I try to add a TOC entry using this window (rather
>> than the Contents pane), no list of HTML titles appears for me to
>> select from. If I double-click the TOC entry in the contents pane,
>> the html file appears. If I double-click the same entry in the
>> window displaying the .hhc file, nothing happens. No file.
>>
>> I'm mystified. I don't even know why there is a separate window
>> opening for the .hhc file. Why is there both a Contents pane and a
>> separate TOC listing?
>>
>> If anyone has any idea what might be going on, I'd love to hear from you.

Are you looking for one documentation tool that does it all?&#160; Author,
http://www.doctohelp.com/