RE: 508 Compliance - Common Readability Issues

Subject: RE: 508 Compliance - Common Readability Issues
From: "McLauchlan, Kevin" <Kevin -dot- McLauchlan -at- safenet-inc -dot- com>
To: Heidi Glick <glick -dot- heidi -at- gmail -dot- com>, Connie Giordano <connie -at- therightwordz -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 4 Nov 2009 12:38:58 -0500

Heidi Glick wrote:

> Thanks. I found what I was looking for on the WebAIM site
> under Designing
> for Screen Reader Compatability. The site provided excellent
> examples of
> things to look out for, such as homographs.
>
> http://www.webaim.org/techniques/screenreader/

Yow, the stuff you don't consider unless it slaps you in the face...

I don't have any blind friends - nor any deaf ones, for that matter.

I wonder how bending a page on my site to accommodate a screen reader would affect SEO.

It's not clear what a screen reader reads first, with respect to textual content versus CSS and structural stuff (like menus, ads, etc.)

For example, a site has a two or three-column design, with tired old menu-items-down-the-left column. The owner decides to switch-to (or add) across-the-top main menu with drop-down sub-menus. Did he just screw up the screen reader? Or did he make it easier for the blind person?

The same guy has tier-2 and tier-3 pages and "helpfully" gathers links to related tier-3 pages and presents them in a table on the relevant tier-2 page. One column has the links, and one column has the explanations/expansions to indicate why the visitor would want to browse to each third-tier page. Does this help... or hinder the unsighted visitor who's relying on a screen reader?

Hmm. Where can one borrow a blind person to vet one's page-design decisions?

- KevinThe information contained in this electronic mail transmission
or disclosing it.

http://www.doctohelp.com/