Re: Doc Design and Convention ( was TECHWR-L Digest, Vol 48, Issue 27)

Subject: Re: Doc Design and Convention ( was TECHWR-L Digest, Vol 48, Issue 27)
From: "Janoff, Steve" <Steve -dot- Janoff2 -at- Teradata -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 6 Nov 2009 20:17:46 -0500

Forwarded at the request of Chris...

________________________________

From: Chris Despopoulos [mailto:despopoulos_chriss -at- yahoo -dot- com]
Sent: Friday, November 06, 2009 8:39 AM
To: Janoff, Steve
Subject: Re: Doc Design and Convention ( was TECHWR-L Digest, Vol 48,
Issue 27)

Hi Steve...

I have to be kind of brief (audible sigh of relief all around).

Modern design is centered on characterizing the user and developing use
cases. UML captures the approach pretty well:
* Use cases
* Sequences
* Module interactions
* Class diagrams

I know I've glossed over tons here, but this is what I've seen done in
real-world use of UML. Actually, I see darned few diagrams of modules
interacting -- that level of design tends to be hand-wavy and people who
make more money than I'm comfortable around do that stuff... They tend
to reinvent diagramming vocabularies for the situation. The point is,
writers belong in the use case and sequence meetings. Especially in
Agile environments, they're encouraged to be there. So long as you
really think and participate it's worth the time, believe me. (If you're
documenting an API, get thee to the class diagramming sessions.)

Beyond that, I think I need to produce an example. Any ideas of some
open source product that needs documenting? Maybe I should just shut up
and put my money where my mouth is.

I want to state again, very clearly... I am not saying we should ditch
task orientation. I'm saying we should reconsider how we define a task.
I have no idea what the impacts on DITA or minimalism would be.
Certainly, that should be secondary -- we don't want to get into
designing information delivery around the technologies and standards of
the day.

I'm impressed with one problem we all face... Until technology provides
an inexpensive alternative we're stuck producing as few different
manuals as possible for a product. That means we have to shoe-horn a
range of information services into a single type of document. All the
more reason to be feeling restless, IMO...

Cheers cud