tifs at 240 dpi worth redoing?

Subject: tifs at 240 dpi worth redoing?
From: Nancy Allison <maker -at- verizon -dot- net>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 2009 09:38:15 -0600 (CST)

Hi, all.

We just had a photographer in to take product shots. The resulting high-resolution image files were more than I need for my work. (I will be creating a PDF from Framemaker and generating online help.) (Marketing may need the full-blast high-res images, though.)

In conversation, we had repeatedly mentioned 300 dpi as the desirable resolution for my purposes, but the graphics person who resized the figures for me (to the dimensions I specified) has provided them at 240 dpi.

I've taken the most detailed photo and imported it into FrameMaker twice, once at 240 dpi and once at 300. In terms of image quality, maybe I'm a visual dullard, but I can't see any meaningful difference. This is a picture of cables, connectors, and boxy little accessories. It's a "Here's Everything You Get In the Box" picture. All the other pictures are of larger, grey, boxy objects, or shiny interiors full of motherboards and jumpers.

Would you ask for them to be redone at 300? Am I mostly likely a visual dullard, and is the difference in resolution significant?

I'm inclined to use them at 240 dpi but I want to do the right thing by my client.

--Nancy

http://www.doctohelp.com/

Help and Manual 5: The all-in-one help authoring tool. Full support for
team authoring with multi-user editing - both directly and in combination
with VSS-compatible source control systems. http://www.helpandmanual.com/