Re: Editable List of Filenames from Windows?

Subject: Re: Editable List of Filenames from Windows?
From: Chris Morton <salt -dot- morton -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Fri, 20 Nov 2009 16:23:46 -0800

The *>* means "redirect the output to..."

On Fri, Nov 20, 2009 at 4:12 PM, DonaLuisa <donaluisa_nwr -at- comcast -dot- net>wrote:

>
>
> Oh my stars, that worked!
>
>
>
> Previously didn't get the bit about the greater than symbol.
>
>
>
> I was able to open in Excel as text delimited so I could edit out unneeded
> data.
>
>
>
> Thank you, and happy Friday.
>
>
>
> -Donna
>
>
> ----- Original Message -----
> From: "Robert Lauriston" <robert -at- lauriston -dot- com>
> To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
> Sent: Friday, November 20, 2009 4:06:04 PM GMT -08:00 US/Canada Pacific
> Subject: Re: Editable List of Filenames from Windows?
>
> Add this after any command to route the output into a text file:
>
> > c:\<some directory>\<some filename>.txt
>
> E.g.:
>
> tree > c:\treeout.txt
>
> On Fri, Nov 20, 2009 at 3:54 PM, DonaLuisa <donaluisa_nwr -at- comcast -dot- net>
> wrote:
> > Thanks for the tips! I am using XP, and I do not have write access to the
> > N:\ directory.
> >
> >
> >
> > I don't know DOS commands, nor the name of my computer. So typing "tree"
> at
> > the command line is getting me some lovely stuff scrolling by, but I'm
> > missing how I get it into a text file.
> >
> >
> >
> > Also, typing dir, the directory path, and /a:d /b displayed great stuff
> on
> > the command line screen, exactly what I want, but how do I get this into
> a
> > text file?
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> > -Donna
> >
> >
> >
> > ----- Original Message -----
> > From: "Robert Lauriston" <robert -at- lauriston -dot- com>
> > To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
> > Sent: Friday, November 20, 2009 3:22:17 PM GMT -08:00 US/Canada Pacific
> > Subject: Re: Editable List of Filenames from Windows?
> >
> > The TREE command might be more appropriate to this task.
> >
> > If you don't have write access to the network directory, use something
> like:
> >
> > tree > c:\scratch\tree.txt
> >
> > You might want to add some more switches to DIR:
> >
> > dir /a:d /s /b
> >
> > /a:d = directories only
> > /s = include all subdirectories
> > /b = bare format
> >
> > Do tree /? or dir /? for more switches.
> >
> > On Fri, Nov 20, 2009 at 3:08 PM, Chris Morton <salt -dot- morton -at- gmail -dot- com>
> wrote:
> >> The command line method:
> >>
> >> Start > Run > CMD > [ENTER]
> >>
> >> CD \\*{computer_name}*\*{filepath*
> >> <file://%7bcomputer_name%7d/%7Bfilepath>*
> >> }*
> >> **
> >> DIR /S *. > *{Local_filename}*.txt
> >>
> >>
> >>
> >> On Fri, Nov 20, 2009 at 3:02 PM, DonaLuisa
> >> <donaluisa_nwr -at- comcast -dot- net>wrote:
> >>
> >>>
> >>>
> >>>
> >>> I am on a PC using Windows. From My Computer I can navigate to a
> network
> >>> directory, and nested in a subfolder is a list of sub-subfolders. I
> would
> >>> love a quick way of putting that list of of folder names in an Office
> >>> application, like Excel or Word.
> > ...
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
> Are you looking for one documentation tool that does it all? Author,
> build, test, and publish your Help files with just one easy-to-use tool.
> Try the latest Doc-To-Help 2009 v3 risk-free for 30-days at:
> http://www.doctohelp.com/
>
> Help & Manual 5: The all-in-one help authoring tool. Easy to use
> but still has all the power you need. Get results fast in an intuitive
> authoring environment that works like a familiar word processor.
> http://www.helpandmanual.com/
>
> ---
> You are currently subscribed to TECHWR-L as donaluisa_nwr -at- comcast -dot- net -dot-
>
> To unsubscribe send a blank email to
> techwr-l-unsubscribe -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
> or visit
> http://lists.techwr-l.com/mailman/options/techwr-l/donaluisa_nwr%40comcast.net
>
>
> To subscribe, send a blank email to techwr-l-join -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
>
> Send administrative questions to admin -at- techwr-l -dot- com -dot- Visit
> http://www.techwr-l.com/ for more resources and info.
>
> Please move off-topic discussions to the Chat list, at:
> http://lists.techwr-l.com/mailman/listinfo/techwr-l-chat
>
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
> Are you looking for one documentation tool that does it all? Author,
> build, test, and publish your Help files with just one easy-to-use tool.
> Try the latest Doc-To-Help 2009 v3 risk-free for 30-days at:
> http://www.doctohelp.com/
>
> Help & Manual 5: The all-in-one help authoring tool. Easy to use
> but still has all the power you need. Get results fast in an intuitive
> authoring environment that works like a familiar word processor.
> http://www.helpandmanual.com/
>
> ---
> You are currently subscribed to TECHWR-L as salt -dot- morton -at- gmail -dot- com -dot-
>
> To unsubscribe send a blank email to
> techwr-l-unsubscribe -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
> or visit
> http://lists.techwr-l.com/mailman/options/techwr-l/salt.morton%40gmail.com
>
>
> To subscribe, send a blank email to techwr-l-join -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
>
> Send administrative questions to admin -at- techwr-l -dot- com -dot- Visit
> http://www.techwr-l.com/ for more resources and info.
>
> Please move off-topic discussions to the Chat list, at:
> http://lists.techwr-l.com/mailman/listinfo/techwr-l-chat
>
>
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Are you looking for one documentation tool that does it all? Author,
build, test, and publish your Help files with just one easy-to-use tool.
Try the latest Doc-To-Help 2009 v3 risk-free for 30-days at:
http://www.doctohelp.com/

Help & Manual 5: The all-in-one help authoring tool. Easy to use
but still has all the power you need. Get results fast in an intuitive
authoring environment that works like a familiar word processor.
http://www.helpandmanual.com/

---
You are currently subscribed to TECHWR-L as archive -at- web -dot- techwr-l -dot- com -dot-

To unsubscribe send a blank email to
techwr-l-unsubscribe -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
or visit http://lists.techwr-l.com/mailman/options/techwr-l/archive%40web.techwr-l.com


To subscribe, send a blank email to techwr-l-join -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com

Send administrative questions to admin -at- techwr-l -dot- com -dot- Visit
http://www.techwr-l.com/ for more resources and info.

Please move off-topic discussions to the Chat list, at:
http://lists.techwr-l.com/mailman/listinfo/techwr-l-chat


Follow-Ups:

References:
Re: Editable List of Filenames from Windows?: From: Robert Lauriston
Re: Editable List of Filenames from Windows?: From: DonaLuisa

Previous by Author: Re: Editable List of Filenames from Windows?
Next by Author: Re: Editable List of Filenames from Windows?
Previous by Thread: Re: Editable List of Filenames from Windows?
Next by Thread: Re: Editable List of Filenames from Windows?


What this post helpful? Share it with friends and colleagues:

Sponsored Ads


Sponsored Ads