Re: Twitter

Subject: Re: Twitter
From: Char James-Tanny <charjtf -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 2009 10:24:12 -0500

> So, don't follow random idiots.  I do, surprisingly, have friends on
> Twitter _AND_ care what they do and are interested in them and their
> activities.  Twitter enables me to keep in touch with them in a very
> low-effort way.

Ditto. There are lots of people on Twitter, and they're talking about
some amazing things.

A couple of weeks ago, two different people asked me, "Why should
anyone care that I had oatmeal for breakfast?" Well, I care...if, for
example, you were eating it in Ireland. Or if you found a great recipe
that I might want to try. (And as someone who cooks and whose friends
cook, we tweet about the food we're making and eating.)

It's kinda like being at a conference when everyone is catching up on
what's new and having the ability to hear all conversations at one
time. (And if that sounds like overload, then ignore some. Or all.
It's OK. Conversations take place whether we're listening or not.)

> I suspect most people's disappointment with Twitter stems from them
> using it wrong.

I think it partly happened because Twitter's tagline used to be, "What
are you doing?", and people answered literally. Their new tagline is
"What's happening?"

Char James-Tanny ~ JTF Associates, Inc. ~ http://www.helpstuff.com
Please send follow-up questions to the list. (Inquiries sent off-list
may not be seen.)
Contact me directly (CharJT at helpstuff dot com) with business inquiries.
Microsoft Help MVP since 2002
Find a Help Authoring Tool at HAT-Matrix.com ~ http://hat-matrix.com
Co-author of "Managing Virtual Teams" ~ http://www.wordware.com/wiki
AuthorIT Certified Consultant, Development, and Training
STC Secretary, 2006-2010
Web site Hosting and Design ~ http://www.jtfhosting.com

http://www.doctohelp.com/

Help & Manual 5: The all-in-one help authoring tool. Easy to use
but still has all the power you need. Get results fast in an intuitive
authoring environment that works like a familiar word processor.
http://www.helpandmanual.com/