Re: Cross-reference style question

Subject: Re: Cross-reference style question
From: Heidi Glick <glick -dot- heidi -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: Nancy Allison <maker -at- verizon -dot- net>
Date: Tue, 1 Dec 2009 09:57:01 -0500

Nancy,

My suggestion is as follows. If possible, I would break the long doc into
several smaller docs. You can auto generate a TOC using Microsoft® Word. They
are great and easy to maintain because you can right click to update fields.
You can use Adobe® Acrobat linking tools; then, a user can click within the
pdf from the TOC and automatically be taken to the correct section of a
document (you may not even have to manually link the TOC—I believe if you
use heading styles in MS Word, the TOC should be automatically linked when
you create a pdf, as long as you have that option selected). MS Word’s auto
TOC generates page numbers for you. The text is black, although you could
probably make it blue. Although, I would avoid blue text and quote marks.

Then again, you indicate that you have used your current format in other
documents. If the document on which you are currently working will be part
of a larger series of documents (that contain the current formatting you’re
using), I would maintain the same formatting for the sake of consistency.

Respectfully,

H.G.

On Tue, Dec 1, 2009 at 9:46 AM, Nancy Allison <maker -at- verizon -dot- net> wrote:

> Ooops, should have indicated this about the two conditional x-ref formats:
>
> --One has the blue hyperlink, no quotation marks, and no page numbers --
> for ONLINE use
> --One has the quotation marks and page numbers, but no hyperlink -- for
> PRINT use
>
> --Nancy
>
> Are you looking for one documentation tool that does it all? Author,
> build, test, and publish your Help files with just one easy-to-use tool.
> Try the latest Doc-To-Help 2009 v3 risk-free for 30-days at:
> http://www.doctohelp.com/
>
> Help & Manual 5: The all-in-one help authoring tool. True single- sourcing
> --
> generate 8 different formats and as many different versions as you need
> from just one project. Fast and intuitive. http://www.helpandmanual.com/
>
> ---
> You are currently subscribed to TECHWR-L as glick -dot- heidi -at- gmail -dot- com -dot-

> or visit
> http://lists.techwr-l.com/mailman/options/techwr-l/glick.heidi%40gmail.com

EditingServices.books.officelive.com