RE: word of the day

Subject: RE: word of the day
From: "McLauchlan, Kevin" <Kevin -dot- McLauchlan -at- safenet-inc -dot- com>
To: Ken Poshedly <poshedly -at- bellsouth -dot- net>, "techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 3 Dec 2009 16:11:27 -0500

I've been with Windoze (er... Windows) since there was a Windows... though there wasn't much reason to actually _use_ 1.x.
I ran GEM to be able to run a certain desktop publishing system on early Windows. I've learned to hold my nose.

I _have_ to use Windows XP at work, because that's what the company mandates, and they make life difficult for anybody trying to use Linux or Mac on their network. Their choice. It does mean that I'm conveniently unavailable when I'm not in the office. :-)

At home, I used Linux almost exclusively for ten years, but got a Mac laptop last year and have hardly touched Linux since. I got bootcamp (and now Parallels) to run Windows on my Mac, basically to be able to run ONE application (MadCap Flare).

I'll be installing Windows 7 as soon as I have a few hundred bucks I don't need... still under Parallels. The primary OS will remain OS X Snow Leopard.

Now, where DID I misplace my pocket protector?

Um, as I recall, the Mac commercials let the PC guy dis hisse'f. The Mac guy just carries on being reasonable, laid-back, and non-confrontational. Sorta the exact opposite of all the Mac fanboys of the world, but I just like the system, so I use it. Not the cool parts. . . the other stuff. :-)

- Kevin (nerd from way back)