Re: Chapter-page numbering, reasons for

Subject: Re: Chapter-page numbering, reasons for
From: beelia <beelia -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: Al Geist <al -dot- geist -at- geistassociates -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 3 Dec 2009 19:52:15 -0800

Fascinating discussion, especially the historical perspectives on printing
technology. I remember cold type too - the smell of the ink, and the sound
of the press. My uncle was a printer, and this thread brought back some fond
memories.

I'm in the "it depends" camp on chapter page numbering. I think Madelyn's
"green" argument is most compelling, but others made great cases for keeping
it simple.

This discussion also made me wonder if one of my page-numbering pet peeves
is shared by anyone else. Are roman numerals for front matter a thing of the
past? My company's template goes from Title page to 2.
That seems stylistically abhorrent, but maybe it's something I should just
get used to. Any takers for extending this interminable conversation?

Al, you have us all beat with your story about "Mushing". I hope your unique
piece of Americana ended up in a museum somewhere.

Bee