Re: Chapter and page numbers

Subject: Re: Chapter and page numbers
From: David Neeley <dbneeley -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Sat, 5 Dec 2009 10:58:01 +0200

I suppose this never has happened to you..

You are facing a tight deadline for a new release...and suddenly, the
manager decides that the book should be re-ordered a bit--moving a chapter
to another location in the book.

(Don't laugh--it has happened to me several times over the years).

Suddenly, you must go to each bloody chapter and renumber pages--or at least
be sure it is all renumbered properly, depending upon how it was done
originally and the software you are working with for authoring.

It doesn't help when the book has gone through many iterations, and some
rather foolish predecessor actually put in some page numbers as style
over-rides that must be found and fixed idividually (also happened to me).

Unless you are speaking of a law or regulation, or an equivalent need where
rules or proscriptions are referred to down to the paragraph or subparagraph
level, then, for most things I would strongly vote for a simple page
numbering scheme--and, yes, with the cover being page 1 even if the number
is not printed.

Make life easier on everyone, folks--and think seriously about putting the
version number and possibly the creation date of this edition in the footer,
quite discreetly of course, so that everyone can easily know they are
speaking from the same page.

David

http://www.doctohelp.com/

Help & Manual 5: The all-in-one help authoring tool. True single- sourcing --
generate 8 different formats and as many different versions as you need
from just one project. Fast and intuitive. http://www.helpandmanual.com/