Re: Redneck step of the day

Subject: Re: Redneck step of the day
From: David Neeley <dbneeley -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Fri, 18 Dec 2009 08:47:40 +0200

Speaking as a Texan, I am mildly offended at equating the use of
"y'all" as being "redneck."

I lived for many years in Austin--which has for many years been among
the cities with the highest average education and the highest purchase
of books in the nation--and "y'all" is a regular conversational term
even among many university professors and other academics.

After all, we don't refer to our friends from Brooklyn as "rednecks"
or use a similar pejorative when they say "youse".

We don't stigmatize the Yankees who say "you guys" in mixed company.

Yet too many of us seem to think that any Southern regionalism is fair
game--and that, indeed, someone with a Southern accent in general must
be somewhat slower thinking and possibly mentally deficient.

Of course, don't get me started on the accents and mannerisms of New England!

Speaking of which, there was a priceless story many years ago...

It seems a man had business in Boston the day after he flew into
Logan. On the way to his hotel, he remembered some of the wonderful
sea food dishes famous in the area, so he asked the cab driver "Do you
know where I can get scrod?"

There was a silence for a second or two on the part of the surprised
cab driver, who finally responded:

"Mister, in all the years I have driven a cab in Boston, that is the
first time I have ever heard that particular verb in the pluperfect
subjunctive!"

--Thank all y'all for playing, I'll be here all week!

David

http://www.doctohelp.com/

Help & Manual 5: The all-in-one help authoring tool. True single- sourcing --
generate 8 different formats and as many different versions as you need
from just one project. Fast and intuitive. http://www.helpandmanual.com/