RE: Editing a PDF

Subject: RE: Editing a PDF
From: "McLauchlan, Kevin" <Kevin -dot- McLauchlan -at- safenet-inc -dot- com>
To: Robert Lauriston <robert -at- lauriston -dot- com>, "techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 22 Dec 2009 09:59:22 -0500

Yes.

When Text editing was unavailable for that portion of the second page in Acrobat, an action that I found under Object editing caused Illustrator to be launched from Acrobat, to open the page.

I edited two words in Illustrator and saved as PDF. That got me the second page of my two-page document.

I already had the first page done as part of a two-page PDF. I didn't see an option to import the single-page page-2 PDF into the two-page PDF to replace it's second page. So, I "edited" page 1 in the same way as I'd edited page 2 (which launched Illustrator again). Did no changes. Saved as PDF.
Then I opened page-1-as-PDF'd-by-Illustrator in Acrobat and imported/added page-2-as-PDF'd-by-Illustrator and saved the resulting two-pager as a new document.

THEN I noticed that in the new combined Acrobat document, page 1 looked fine, but page 2 (while otherwise looking fine, was slightly narrower that page 1... which was NOT the case in the original two-page PDF (with the errors in it) that I'd received.

No, I did not make any setting changes of ANY kind in either Acrobat or Illustrator CS when doing any of this. The very last thing that I wanted was any kind of change other than the removal of a few felonious characters.

Anyway, those who foisted this on me were screaming (figuratively.... more like dancing from one foot to the other like a kid who has to pee...) for the fixed doc and were OK to ignore the narrowed page 2. So I just handed it back and was done with it.

But it bugs me a bit and I didn't see an immediate reason for the discrepancy in the documentation, so I thought I'd bring it up here.

Anyhoo, I just put in a request for an "upgrade" from Illustrator CS to "Adobe Creative Suite 4 Design
Standard". At 800 bucks for the "upgrade", maybe they'll pass it and I'll have 7-years-newer Illustrator, InDesign (which I've never had but would like to try ... and our "Creative Services" department uses it), and PhotoShop (which I've never had, which is the "standard" used in all college classes and webinars I might want to take, and which I've been [lamely] faking with The GIMP), as well as an extra license for Acrobat 9 that somebody else might be able to use. Seems like a good deal if my boss' boss will go for it.

- Kevin

-l.com [mailto:techwr-l-bounces+kevin.mclauchlan=safenet-> inc -dot- com -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com] On Behalf Of Robert Lauriston
> Sent: Monday, December 21, 2009 6:35 PM
> To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
> Subject: Re: Editing a PDF
>
> The description reads to me like the whole page was opened as an
> embedded object in Illustrator, and a margin was getting added or
> increased when the object was saved back to the containing PDF.
>
> On Mon, Dec 21, 2009 at 2:52 PM, Bill Swallow
> <techcommdood -at- gmail -dot- com> wrote:
> > Who's talking about affecting editing? This is about PDF >
> Illustrator
> >> PDF in which case the final PDF had 2 different page sizes. That's
> > post-editing.
[...]

or disclosing it.

http://www.doctohelp.com/

Help & Manual 5: The all-in-one help authoring tool. True single- sourcing --
generate 8 different formats and as many different versions as you need
from just one project. Fast and intuitive. http://www.helpandmanual.com/