Re: cross section vs cross-sectional - what about cross sectioned andcross sectioning

Subject: Re: cross section vs cross-sectional - what about cross sectioned andcross sectioning
From: Robert Lauriston <robert -at- lauriston -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Wed, 23 Dec 2009 10:04:05 -0800

Looking at Google hits, I don't believe "cross-section" has
established itself as a verb outside of jargon and informal speech, so
I would not use it in writing intended for publication. To me it looks
semi-literate.

You can find a lot of dubious jargon and neologisms in online dictionaries.

On Wed, Dec 23, 2009 at 9:54 AM, Combs, Richard
<richard -dot- combs -at- polycom -dot- com> wrote:

> Robert's right about the noun and adjective. I was ready to agree about the verb forms, too, which strike me as quite ugly. But a quick check showed that both Random House (dictionary.com) and Merriam-Webster (m-w.com) recognize cross-section as a transitive verb.
>
> Personally, I'd try to say it differently, but how would depend on the context and meaning.

http://www.doctohelp.com/

Help & Manual 5: The all-in-one help authoring tool. True single- sourcing --
generate 8 different formats and as many different versions as you need
from just one project. Fast and intuitive. http://www.helpandmanual.com/