RE: [TOOLS] Portable Apps and picking a stick

Subject: RE: [TOOLS] Portable Apps and picking a stick
From: "Pinkham, Jim" <Jim -dot- Pinkham -at- voith -dot- com>
To: "McLauchlan, Kevin" <Kevin -dot- McLauchlan -at- safenet-inc -dot- com>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 5 Jan 2010 13:27:15 -0600

I can tackle a few parts of this, Kevin, but I suspect others will have
more detail. I have carted around Portable Apps on a stick for quite
some time, from PC to PC. Most of the applications I use somewhat
sporadically. I'm just trying Open Office on my new laptop, so that's
not ready for commentary yet, nor for testing on a stick. My current
primary stick is an 8 GB, which is more than ample for me, and I've had
it for more than a year. My hunch is that 4 GB and 8 GB sticks remain
the best bang for your buck, unless you have a big need for more and/or
find a very good sale. I don't think there's any appreciable difference,
for my work at least, between say a SanDisk, a PNY, or a Geek Squad
stick. I have used both SanDisk and PNY quite extensively for several
years. There might be some more security features in one type of stick;
the Portable Apps interface may be more intrusive (er, ready to help) in
another.

My current roster of tools on the stick, Portable Apps or otherwise --
and some beginning to wax long in the tooth, includes:

2xExplorer
Add Remove Pro
CPicture
Desktop Architect
Disk Cleaner
eCleaner
MyIE2
QJot
ScreenSeize
SSS
stickies
YCIII
SumatraPDFPortable
KeePass-2.08
iview425
FirefoxPortable
PathCopy
xplorer2_litePortable

I've considered adding The Gimp Portable to my roster as well, but to
date just have not done that much photo editing on the road. I've used
all of these programs with varying intensity. If I had to guess, I may
use Sumatra most -- it's quick and dirty when I'm somewhere where
Acrobat or Reader aren't available, and I have a lot of PDFs on my
drive.

HTH,
Jim