Re: Question on Naming

Subject: Re: Question on Naming
From: Robert Lauriston <robert -at- lauriston -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L Writing <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 7 Jan 2010 08:53:26 -0800

If by "using Eclipse to create the application" you mean they're using
Eclipse Web Tools, there should be no need to invent terms. If the
programmers are just using Eclipse as an IDE, that's not necessarily
meaningful, especailly if it's written in C++ rather than Java.

You should find out this stuff before you start inventing new terms,
especially since it should affect your deliverables.

I would not call a UI "dynamic" just because elements are shown or
hidden based on the user's role / permissions / group membership. A
particular user will always see the same thing.

Is the doc task-oriented or what?

"I may just call them by their tab name of History, Calender, etc."

That's probably best. Generally, with Web-based UIs where you've got
multiple levels of tabs and various panels in a flat workspace without
overlapping windows or pop-ups, I find it clearer to avoid naming UI
elements. Especially when the UI is messy, disorganized, and
inconsistent, as in Oracle apps.

In any case, "action item" and "screen" are weird and confusing.

http://www.doctohelp.com/

http://www.ModernAnalyst.com