Re: Integrating movies into documentation (Erika Yanovich)

Subject: Re: Integrating movies into documentation (Erika Yanovich)
From: Tony Chung <tonyc -at- tonychung -dot- ca>
To: TECHWR-L Writing <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 2010 09:51:36 -0800

I side with Kevin if the product is standalone or requires security
clearance to view. I would think most high-tech firms, and hardware
products, fall into this category. I was really impressed with the
"show me" demos on my macbook preferences. I doubt they hosted those
on YouTube.

On the other hand, I've found that most software companies can't wait
to show a demo of their latest offering. Publishing on YouTube has the
potential to expand the reach of the product to more people.

http://www.commoncraft.com leveraged this service as a proof of
concept that his unique video production technique _may_ work for your
product. Because the site uses the http://flowplayer.org media player
which calls the media file directly, I can't tell whether it hosts a
separate copy of the video or links to another online copy somewhere.
I'm willing to bet its self hosted, as the tags within the site show
signs of being hosted on a cloud server.

I also recently found out you can publish video through http://blip.tv
and send the links to other sites like YouTube, for expanded market
penetration.

Cheers. It's Friday.

--
Tony Chung: Creative Communications