RE: Previous, Next and Print buttons in Help

Subject: RE: Previous, Next and Print buttons in Help
From: "Leonard C. Porrello" <Leonard -dot- Porrello -at- SoleraTec -dot- com>
To: "Robert Lauriston" <robert -at- lauriston -dot- com>, "TECHWR-L Writing" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 2010 10:22:19 -0800

I agree that the implementation in H&M's help could be improved. In my
own help, they are more discreet and require less real estate. Also, I
do not include the Top button. However, I do keep the buttons to the
right. If you were to put them where you suggest, to the left, the user
who is using the scroll bar would have to drag his mouse across the
entire window to click Next. And if he is dragging his mouse all the way
back to the left side of the window, he may as well use the TOC. As it
is, with the buttons to the right, he merely has to go to the top of the
window.

So are the buttons really worth the trouble? In short, I wouldn't think
less of a help system for not having them.

Leonard