RE: how bad is the job market?

Subject: RE: how bad is the job market?
From: "Will Husa" <will -dot- husa -at- 4techwriter -dot- com>
To: "'Robert Lauriston'" <robert -at- lauriston -dot- com>, "'TECHWR-L Writing'" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 2010 10:07:21 -0600

I would agree that January is the month when many technical writing
opportunities present themselves. What is available depends upon how the
opportunity is marketed.

Some companies and agencies are not using Dice or Monster. They are using
LinkedIn to find talent. Once they get a list of candidates, they conduct
pre-screening through Google, Yahoo, LinkedIn, etc. They check to see if the
candidate has Blog or a Facebook page. If the candidate has a Blog, what
does he/she write about? What are they saying on their Facebook page? If the
candidate posts comments on Tech Whirl, what advice are they giving? It's
only after the pre-screening has completed before they contact the
candidate.

Who is going to put in that much effort to pre-screen a candidate?
Recruiters, agencies and companies are doing it now.

Recently, an agency performed such a search before they contacted me. The
agency's client knew my reputation before I walked in the door.

The same scenario occurred with a direct client. They had also conducted a
pre-screening using Google. I had never heard of them before they contacted
me.

A recruiter contacted me after he performed a search on the Tech Whirl
archives.

Will Husa
Technical Writer
Your source for user-friendly documentation
Phone: 708-927-3569
www.4techwriter.com