[TOOLS] virtualization kernel?

Subject: [TOOLS] virtualization kernel?
From: "McLauchlan, Kevin" <Kevin -dot- McLauchlan -at- safenet-inc -dot- com>
To: "techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 2010 15:49:29 -0500

Hey gang. . .

Is anybody using Xen or another VM thin hypervisor on their main work computer - the bread-and-butter box where they do their writing, editing, graphics stuff?

The world has left behind my 32-bit secondary (test) PC, so I've got my Dell Precision T5400 running Win XP Pro X64.... which is approximately the standard desktop environment on our corporate network. BUT... it's not a supported OS for any of our products (which tend to be used on servers). So, I want to install and use one or two of our hardware products but without having to constantly reboot (Win 2008 R2, RHEL5-64, etc.).

Our hardware drivers work best when they think they are talking directly to the hardware. Thus a Workstation VM solution isn't sufficient. VM Ware ESX is kinda costly (at $995 for their lowest license) and requires hardware I don't have (SCSI drives, among other things). Also, management has no desire to cater to my whims from their pockets, in these times of fiscal restraint... So I thought of the Xen thin hypervisor.

However I prefer not to catch hell from our IT Dept., for breaking their Live Directory, remote-control spyware, and other stuff. Thus I was wondering if anybody on the list had already blazed this particular trail.

Kevin McLauchlan
Senior Technical Writer
SafeNet, Inc.

or disclosing it.