Re: TECHWR-L Digest, Vol 51, Issue 27

Subject: Re: TECHWR-L Digest, Vol 51, Issue 27
From: David Neeley <dbneeley -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Fri, 29 Jan 2010 15:06:06 +0200

Janice,

To me, the language you gave seems overly complex to begin with--and I
tend to avoid words like "functionality" in most cases, as being not
terribly helpful and somewhat grandiloquent.

Instead, how about something like:

"The increased capacity of XXX means production costs can be lower,
but both the initial cost and the complexity of the device are both
higher. This is why many vendors have not included it in their
implementations."

Or perhaps:

"If you are willing to pay a higher initial price and if increased
complexity is acceptable, the extra capacity of XXX can result in
lower production costs."

To me, writing simply and directly is usually the best route of all.
It also pays dividends when working with translation or when a reader
might not have English as the primary language.

David

http://www.doctohelp.com/

http://www.ModernAnalyst.com