RE: Need a word for...

Subject: RE: Need a word for...
From: "Janoff, Steve" <Steve -dot- Janoff -at- Teradata -dot- com>
To: "McLauchlan, Kevin" <Kevin -dot- McLauchlan -at- safenet-inc -dot- com>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 4 Feb 2010 16:17:58 -0500

"Quiver"? Just a guess.


PS - "Flicker"?

-----Original Message-----
From: techwr-l-bounces+steve -dot- janoff=teradata -dot- com -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
[mailto:techwr-l-bounces+steve -dot- janoff=teradata -dot- com -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com]
On Behalf Of McLauchlan, Kevin
Sent: Thursday, February 04, 2010 6:37 AM
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Subject: Need a word for...

Once again, I'm turning to the Techwr-l "reverse-lookup-dictionary" for
a term that I'm pretty sure exists, but which is eluding me at present.

Is there a general, or engineering, term for a condition where something
is dropped/stopped and retries/resumes, but it happens so frequently and
rapidly that it's annoying (or a drag on resources)?

It's not "jitter", but a word of that sort.

It's not a "race condition" - two signals or events 'racing' each other
to determine an outcome... but sorta in the neighborhood.

With that said, here's the situation.

Picture a group of networked devices in a High Availability cluster
configuration. They take part in load balancing, and they synchronize
constantly to back each other up, in the event that one or more fails in
some way. Now imagine they're geographically dispersed. Now imagine that
the internet trunk from one country is flaky. It goes in. It goes out.
It has its good days. It has its bad days. But the result is that the
clustered appliance that lives at the other end of it can sometimes be
dropping out and rejoining a _lot_. Possibly to the point - if that
network segment gets bad enough - that the unit is being dropped out
even faster than it can rejoin (with all the necessary handshaking). So,
perhaps the customers request a settable "rejoin delay", such that the
member can be told to take a breather (of a specified length) before
attempting to rejoin.

What would be a good generic word for the sort of condition where
something is being rapidly/frequently disconnected and keeps dutifully
coming back for more punishment? I imagine there's a common english
word that engineers have co-opted for such a situation - perhaps a
two-word phrase at most. It's not quite at the tip of my tongue - or
my typing fingers. Bugs me no end.


Kevin McLauchlan
Senior Technical Writer
SafeNet, Inc.

The information contained in this electronic mail transmission may be
privileged and confidential, and therefore, protected from disclosure.
If you have received this communication in error, please notify us
immediately by replying to this message and deleting it from your
computer without copying or disclosing it.

Are you looking for one documentation tool that does it all? Author,
build, test, and publish your Help files with just one easy-to-use tool.
Try the latest Doc-To-Help 2009 v3 risk-free for 30-days at:

Explore CAREER options and paths related to Technical Writing,
learn to create SOFTWARE REQUIREMENTS documents, and
get tips on FUNCTIONAL SPECIFICATION best practices. Free at:

You are currently subscribed to TECHWR-L as archive -at- web -dot- techwr-l -dot- com -dot-

To unsubscribe send a blank email to
techwr-l-unsubscribe -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
or visit

To subscribe, send a blank email to techwr-l-join -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com

Send administrative questions to admin -at- techwr-l -dot- com -dot- Visit for more resources and info.

Please move off-topic discussions to the Chat list, at:


Need a word for...: From: McLauchlan, Kevin

Previous by Author: Procedure Example
Next by Author: RE: Need a word for...
Previous by Thread: Re: Need a word for...
Next by Thread: RE: Need a word for...

What this post helpful? Share it with friends and colleagues:

Sponsored Ads